Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Process of my Dress

Hi everyone, it's been a while.


Last week and this week had been very busy for all fashion student at Mid-Cheshire College as the fashion show comes nearer and nearer (basically it’s on Thursday and Friday of this week).

I on the other hand was beyond stress. My first stress was the fact that my black fabric was too thin and would rip off if the weight of the layers are added, then I went fabric shopping but didn’t found the fabric I needed but luckily I met my friend who had the fabric that I need unfortunately it didn’t arrive the day I was suppose to pick it up. However, I found a black heavy fabric on the college fabric store room and luckily it was enough for my garment. My second stress is the time which if you notice I didn’t have much. I got plenty of things to do like gathering the fabric and cutting them out as well as doing my college work and the horrible part was the over lockers keeps unthreading.

The images below are my progress since last week.

Pieces of my garment

Last week I came in college for only half a day without the fabric that I need but the image above is the heavy fabric I was on about before. It took me half of the afternoon to look for it and the other half cutting the pattern pieces out of the fabric because the fabric was too thick and I had to fold the fabric making the normal thickness twice as thick and the pins would not go through but the end of the day I was able to cut all my pattern pieces out of the fabric with a sore index finger but it was all worth it. Down side of it was the fact I got some spare minutes before college finish for the day and planned to over lock all my pattern pieces but disaster strike as all the over locker were all unthread or thread with multi colours.

Back View

Front View

Once the over lockers were fixed I quickly over lock the edges of my pattern pieces and began constructing my garment.

I sewn the bodice together first on the shoulder line before sewing the sleeves onto the bodice. My next steps after that was to sewn the left side seam from the arm hole of the sleeve to the hem of the bodice. As for the right side seam I only sewed down from the arm hole of the sleeve to mid-bust because a zip is going to be place there.

After I sewn the bodice and sleeve together I construct the main feature of my garment which is the first gathered layer that go around the bodice. I had sewn the gathered layer on the hem of the bodice (shown on the image above).

I know right now it slightly resembles the ballerina clothes but trust me it get better than that.

I’m going to stop for now but tomorrow I will post the second part. :)

0 comments: